- Broccoli - 1 bunch
- Onion - 1/2 (finely chopped/ grated)
- Green Chilies - 1
- Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 1 string
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Dry red Chilies - 2
- Urad dal - 2 tbsp
- Salt - as needed
- Wash the broccoli and chop it very fine. You can also pulse it a few times in the food processor.
- Heat oil in a kadai, splutter the mustard seeds.
- Add the urad dal, dry red chilies and curry leaves. Fry for a minute or so till the urad dal turns golden brown.
- Add the chopped onion and green chilies. Fry for a minute till the onion sweats.
- Add the finely shredded broccoli and required salt.
- Stir fry for about 3-5 minutes. The broccoli will become dark green in color and will be partially cooked.
- Add grated coconut, mix again and remove from the stove. Broccoli tastes best if it retains its crunchiness, so do not overcook it.
The broccoli poriyal will be a tasty and healthy side dish for plain rice or any variety rice. It can also be served with roti varieties or used to make wraps.